Yeah, the straw bag trend is real and doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. It’s summer, you could definitely go out and treat yourself to a new bag, but “Why buy when you can make it yourself?”
We have chosen for you some DIY projects to make you the best straw bag to go out or go to the beach. Look, think, then design your own bag in the size and colors that suit you best !
1. Straw bag: The circle
Below we have come up with a simple DIY circle shaped straw bag that looks to be very trendy this summer of 2018. Every blogger and celebrity (even Beyoncé) has been wearing such a bag for months. The one we offer is made up of two rattan trivets that you can buy at any home furnishings store! That’s cool, isn’t it? Read on for all the materials you’ll need, plus the step-by-step instructions..
You need to:
• 2 rattan trivets of the same size.
• Piece of beige leather (or other color) – 20 x 5 cm.
• Braided cord.
• Needle and thread.
• Wooden bead (for closing).
• A ruler
1. Measure the piece of leather and cut it to the size of the chosen rattan trivets. Make an orlet on each side of the piece of leather with a needle and thread.
2. Sew along the piece of leather with one of the rattan trivets. Continue until the entire length of the piece of leather is sewn.
3. Place the second trivet on the leather and sew in the same way.
4. Measure two strips of braided cord to the desired purse strap length. Sew each end to the bag to create strong straps.
5. Stitch the bead up on one side with a needle and thread or with a piece of braided cord.
6. Take another piece of braided rope and make a loop that is long enough to extend from one side of the bag to the other. Sew the ends of the loop to the trivet.
And there you go and have fun!
2. Straw bag: Change your boring old bag
We’re hoping there will be some nice beach parties, so we’ll have to be fully prepared to look cute. You’ll need a towel, the perfect summer bikini, gadgets and games, and of course a cooler. Grab your sunglasses and sunscreen, then throw it all in your favorite bag. But what if you just have a boring old bag? Don’t worry, just collect your brushes, follow this easy tutorial, and get ready to be the coolest person on the sand this summer.!
You need to :
• an old straw bag
• pompom ribbon
• acrylic paint
• paint brushes
• hot glue gun + glue
1. Take your old bag and place duct tape on top, leaving a few inches exposed, as shown below.
2. Use acrylic paint to make a mark on the strip every 4 inches. This will help you create regular triangles. Then start painting the first shape. Use pink acrylic to mark the strip every five inches. This will help you create regular triangles. Then start painting the first shape, adding more triangles as shown in the image above.
3. Continue to add triangles, as shown in the image below. We have used pink, fuchsia, green and aqua, but you can definitely choose any color you prefer.
4. Wait a few minutes, remove the strip and continue adding triangles until you are happy with your design. Repeat this step over and over again until you are happy with your model.
5. Use the glue gun to glue the pompom tape in place. Your new bag is ready to go to the beach with you !
You’ve got a modern take on the classic beach bag! Now is your favorite bag? You were able to customize the pattern and color to make it your own and wear it with the greatest pleasure.
3. Straw bag: Neon
For this project it is better to find a straw bag that is straight and low. This is exactly the bag you can fill with fruits, vegetables and flowers at the Sunday afternoon market. The young neon color will give you a warm summer taste!
You need to:
• old straw bag (preferably straight and low)
• Yellow and white neon paint spray (non-toxic!)
1. Using masking tape, draw a straight line about eight inches down the bag. Below this line the bag will be painted with yellow aerosol (or other color).
2. Wrap the tape around the entire bag, making sure it sticks well. Keep a very straight line.
3. Using masking tape, secure the newspaper to the other part of the bag to protect it from paint..
4. In a well ventilated area, invert the bag and spray with paint. You can use a light coat of white paint first to make the yellow appear better when you apply it. The trick with spray painting is to apply a number of light coats instead of just one. This way you won’t have any drips and the color will be nice and smooth.
5. Let dry overnight. Finish the bag with pom poms or tassels of your choice. You can choose the same color or a different color according to your taste.
Another option with more colors:
4. Straw bag: Red fruits
Red fruits and straw! These are two favorite summer motifs. There are some wonderful fruit applications on the market. Combining them with your old straw bag hidden in the wardrobe for some time is more than trendy. Everyone is currently obsessed with the traditional Portuguese reed bags, each woven on a hand loom by artisanal weavers and extremely durable. We love the wicker handles and the fact that there is no closure on the bag – handy for the summer, right? Red colors are a super chic tandence right now! For this particular project, we are going to opt for a simple version with a unique touch of red fruits.!
You will need:
• 35 – 40 embroidered fruit and vegetable appliques (like cherries, strawberries, bananas, apples, carrots, corn and tiny flowers).
• old straw bag
• E6000 glue
• needle and thread (optional)
1. Start by choosing an assortment of apps you want to use for your bag. It is better to arrange the applications on the bag before sticking them.
2. Squeeze a large dollop of glue onto a small piece of paper. You can use a small piece of waxed paper to keep the glue sticky and not getting on your work surface. Use the tip of a toothpick to apply glue to the back of each application. It’s okay to go a little heavy on the glue here.
3. Gently place the application on the bag. Press and hold for a few seconds. Apply the rest of the applications to one side of the bag and let dry for at least 2-3 hours before working the other side.
5. Straw bag: With pompoms
We love pom poms and we would like to have a fun pom pom bag for the summer. But it’s not always easy to find the right one for us at a decent price. At the end of the day, for hanging out with your girlfriends, some of these bags are really cute! However, we do not want to spend more than 100 EUR for a bag made of straw and pom poms …
There is a solution ! You can make your own pom pom bag. It’s not really hard work… it’s just a glue project. Everyone can do it. Sometimes the hardest part of a “DIY” is finding the right supplies… in our case, it’s a little hard to find the perfect pom poms (they have to be big enough !!!) once you have them found, the work is more than cool … It’s really just figuring out which colors go well together and sticking them on the bag!
You need to :
• an old straw bag
• glue (as strong as possible)
• pom poms in different colors (see below for instructions)
1. Start by displaying all of your pom poms to decide which colors look best on you together. From there, apply a large drop of glue to a pompom and press it onto the bag.
2. Press firmly for 10-20 seconds, then repeat.
3. It is best to work in stages. You can apply all of the pom poms on one side and let dry for about 2-3 hours. Then you can glue the pom poms on the other side and also let it dry before you start wearing your brand new bag !
Warning : Do not try to sew the pom poms on the bag! The woven leaves of the bag are not made to be pricked with needles. Do not use fabric glue, which is too slippery on the straw. A hot glue gun might work but the results are less permanent.
Create pom poms with your fingers
If you’re having trouble finding the perfect pom pom for your straw bag, take a look at how you can create it on your own. You can choose the size: small, medium or large and its color! This tutorial shows how to make a pompom using only your fingers, a yarn and a pair of scissors. It’s cheap, quick and easy.
• For a small pompom, use only two fingers: your index and middle fingers. Place the thread between these two fingers.
• For a medium pom pom, use your pointer, middle and ring fingers. Place the wire between the pointer and middle finger.
• For a large pompom, use index, middle, ring and pinky fingers. Place the yarn between the middle and ring fingers.
Medium Straw Bag Pom Pom: Instructions
1. Cut about 20 cm of the woolen thread and place it between your index and middle fingers..
2. Get the end of your skein and pinch it between your thumb and forefinger. Do not let go until you have wrapped it a few times.
3. Wind the thread 50 times around your three fingers, taking care not to completely cover the marceau stuck between your fingers..
4. After you have wound it about 50 times, cut the thread. Take the two ends of the small piece, pulling them around the coiled part as shown in the photo. Center it as much as possible between your index and ring fingers.
5. Insert your scissors into the loops and start cutting section by section. Proceed to the next section, insert your scissors through the loops and cut again. Repeat along the opposite side of the pom pom with the remaining loops.
6. Use your scissors and make small cuts to complete your pom pom. Remember that it is better to cut too little and cut again, than to cut too much and have an unbalanced pom pom.
7. Once you are satisfied with the shape of your pom pom, you can stick it on your straw bag..
Have fun !